Home / Latest News / After Bombay HC rap, Maharashtra Govt. increases Compensation to Victims of Sexual Assault from ₹3 lakh to ₹10 lakh

After Bombay HC rap, Maharashtra Govt. increases Compensation to Victims of Sexual Assault from ₹3 lakh to ₹10 lakh

July 21,2017:

Cabinet vested District Legal Service Authority with responsibility of sanctioning the compensation.

Victim Compensation

Maharashtra State Cabinet has increased Compensation to the Victims of Sexual Assault from ₹3 lakh to ₹10 lakh after Bombay High Court slammed Government for its flawed execution of Manodhairya Yojana.

Of total amount, 75% would be set aside as the Fixed Deposit in victim’s name, while remaining 25% will be handed over immediately as a cheque.

Earlier, Sanctioning Authority was the District-Level Relief and Rehabilitation Board under District Collector.

Changes will be applicable to the cases registered since December 31, 2009.

Vineeta Singhal, Secretary of the Women and Child Development Department stated that, “Scheme came into being in 2013 and since then we have witnessed its implementation. We realised that the certain modifications had to be made to Scheme.

“The yojana is not only about providing one-time help to the victims but also to help them get back on their feet with dignity. The monetary compensation has been increased and depositing a major portion in the bank will help the victim draw a fixed amount every month.”

Ms. Singhal added that the department recognised that only the evidence on record had to be assessed while granting the compensation. She said, “The people in legal business know the technicalities and we thought it was important to hand over the responsibility of providing compensation to a statutory body at district level.”

Facebook Comments
Bombay HC Maharashtra Victim Compensation

Check Also

MLA arrested on charges of Sexual Harassment and Stalking

July 22,2017: MLA Vincent, represents the Kovalam Assembly constituency near Thiruvananthapuram, stated that he has done no wrong and claimed he is a victim of political conspiracy. The Congress MLA M. Vincent has been arrested by the Kerala Police, a ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *