All that you should know about him-
1. Jagdish Singh Khehar was born in State of Punjab on August 28, 1952.
2. He did Bachelor’s Degree in Law from the Panjab University in 1974. He was Gold Medalist in 1977 in his LLM.
3. He started practice as an Advocate in 1979 and at Punjab and Haryana High Court and at Himachal Pradesh High Court.
4. He became Additional Advocate General, for Punjab State, in January 1992. He was designated Senior Standing Counsel and then as Senior Advocate in February 1995.
5. He was elevated to the Bench of High Court of Punjab and Haryana, in February 1999. Became Acting Chief Justice of the Punjab and Haryana High Court two times, in 2008 and 2009.
6. He defended former Supreme Court judge Justice V Ramaswami in hia impeachment proseedings.
7. He became Justice of the Supreme Court of India on September 13, 2011.
8. In 2015 he headed the Five-Judge Constitution Bench in SC which struck down NJAC Act for appointment of judges as un Constitutional.
9. He had sent Sahara Chief Subrata Roy to Jail as a Member of the Bench for duping investors.
10. He is the first Chief Justice from the Sikh community and would remain CJI till August 27, 2017.
11. He Donates Blood once every Three Months. He has been doing so since last 40 Years.
12. His Father hailed from Kenya and migrated back to India when he was in School.
13.He was part of a committee of three jurists set up by Vice President Hamid Ansari to look into corruption charges against Chief Justice P D Dinakaran of Karnataka High Court during the impeachment proceedings.
14. He ordered initiation of an enquiry against a senior Madhya Pradesh High Court Judge for sexually harrassing a Gwalior Additional District Judge.
15. He is an avid Dog lover and has a pet Boxer Dog Coco and gives the pet a bath himself.
16. While heading a Full Bench of Punjab and Haryana High Court delivered a definition of a term ‘Sikh’. He ruled that a religion must be perceived as it is, and not as another would like any particular Religion to be.
17. As a part of SC Bench he ruled that Govt. must allocate natural resources only through auction . He sais that no part of the natural resource can be exploited as a matter of largess, charity, donation for its private exploitation and every natural resource must bring back a reciprocal consideration.
18. He known to be a patient listener. Even if he disagreed, but would never lose his cool.
19. He headed the SC Bench which had set aside the President’s Rule imposed in Arunachal Pradesh in January 2016.
20. His wife, Smt. Madhupreet Kaur Khehar, is a homemaker.
His two sons Karanveer Singh Khehar and Barinder Singh Khehar are practicing Law at the Punjab and Haryana high court and the third son, Tarunveer Singh Khehar, is practicing Law at the Delhi High Court.